How do notable individuals use social media?

I think notable individuals, such as celebrities, media personalities, influencers, etc, use social media to promote a brand. Maybe these individuals use their platforms to highlight a product campaign they are doing, or to advertise their new song on Spotify. Even with a small following, it is possible to promote a certain niche or capture a particular market (for instance, micro influencers. I know many students who works with brands as a side hustle on Instagram to help pay for university). 

I would argue that even the influencers who market themselves as “relatable” are promoting a brand. The idea of effortless coolness/beauty/quirkiness is incredibly marketable right now. No one wants to look like they are trying. Just consider the concept of “no-makeup makeup”, in which the purpose is to achieve a “natural” look by wearing makeup. Therefore, it is important to recognize that everything on social media is carefully curated — even photos that may look effortless! This idea is captured perfect by Vance in her interview, as she explains how integral that her brand reflects her identity. Her role as a broadcaster provides a bit more flexibility that the role of a journalist in what opinions she can share in public discourse.

What are the benefits of being in the public eye and having a PLN?

One benefit is the ability to meet new people and increase your network. Another benefit is that it boosts your digital professional identity for greater recognition when applying for jobs. For instance, someone who has a fully completed LinkedIn profile with numerous connections, and who is applying for a job through LinkedIn’s career portal, is likely at a more advantageous position than someone with an empty LinkedIn profile. Vance reinforces this idea by describing how her role in the public media has led her to make professional connections.

Building community with online tools provided by the employer can be limiting, what are the perceived restrictions and benefits?

Some of the benefits of using online tools are the ease of use and accessibility. Most social media platforms that focus on community are free to use and do not require an extensive tech background. In my role as a Community Leader for UVic Residence Life, I have taken advantage of platforms such as TikTok, Facebook, and Instagram to build communityamong first-year students.

Safety and privacy concerns are some concerns you must consider when using online tools in a professional context. If you are using social media for a job, you should be certain that your passwords and data are stored safely. At my job, we moved away from using Facebook for communication and now rely on our UVic emails and Microsoft Teams, as they have stronger privacy protections.

Delivering information in a connected society requires verifiable resources, how to build a PLN to rely on?

One piece of advice I received from a professor at UVic who runs a blog is to read a variety of sources. Not just two or three — but five, six, or even seven if you have the time. Editorials, new pieces, documentaries, etc, all have a particular slant to them. This slant, or bias, is often curated to promote advertising, which has created a unique dynamic that Hirst speaks to in their piece (2018). By reviewing multiple sources, it is easier to avoid bias and review trusted sources/

How do those, who are veteran storytellers, minimize risk in sharing misinformation?

Like I mentioned, it is important to look at a variety of sources before sharing information. It is essential to look up information for yourself and critically assess it on your own terms. There have been many times where I have wanted to share a graphic on my Instagram story, but I first paused to do some fact-checking. While these types of graphics are great for promoting campaigns and calling attention to issues, it is difficult to explain multi-faceted issues over an Instagram story.

Works Cited

Vance, Jody & Miller, J. “EDCI 338 – 2021 – 03 – 21 JODY VANCE.” 03 Mar. 2021. doi: https://.youtube.com/watchv=dgZOJgJKdyl&feature=youtu.be

Hirst, M. (2018). Social Journalism and the Gig Economy. Navigating Social Journalism: A Handbook for Media Literacy and Citizen Journalism. Ch. 6.(pp. 142-143). New York, NY: Routledge.