Blog Post #1: Personal Learning Networks and Digital Identity

What does it mean to network using social media?

As per the article by Rajagopal, Kamakshi, et al, networking in the professional sense can be defined as “making connections with other professionals, with or without the intention of making long-term ties with them” (para. three). To network with social media, then, would be to use social media with the aim of making connections or partnerships to advance one’s goals, learn something new, or to promote one’s profile or platform. There are so many ways to network using social media in 2021, with one example being LinkedIn, where one can create a virtual resume. I have personally used LinkedIn to connect with my peers and former colleagues and have used the platform as a way to network. In one of my previous summer jobs, my co-worker had found the position after sending a direct message to our supervisor. There are many examples of jobs being presented exclusively on LinkedIn, making it a worthwhile social media site for professionals to join.

How are we motivated to participate in networked publics?

Since humans are social creatures by nature, I believe we are motivated to participate in networked publics through our intrinsic desire for connection. Social networks allow us to create and maintain bonds with people who could be across the globe, or reconnect with long-lost friends or family. During our current pandemic context, where many of us are limited to our household, social networks allow us to stay connected with people we cannot see. We are also motivated to participate in these networks for the purposes of school or work. In a semester where we are learning remotely, platforms such as Zoom and Discord have taken off.

What are the risks & rewards of public communications?

One of the risks of public communication, in particular, through social media, is of privacy violations and security. Many of us grew up with the warning to critically consider what we posted on social media, to avoid jeopardizing future career or education goals with an inappropriate post or photo. There is also the fact that much of our data is stored and mined by companies for the purposes of advertising, as described in the Boyd article (p. 349). I remember the first time I Googled a brand of shoe I was interested in, only to see it advertised on my Gmail later that day. While I am now used to this type of personalized advertising, it is a useful reminder to monitor our digital footprints and take efforts to protect our privacy.

Some of the rewards of public communication include greater connection, growth, and learning (Rajagopal, Kamakshi, et al., para. four). It is possible to learn so much for free just by going online, and growing one’s brand or platform is easier than ever. By taking advantage of public communication, it is possible to have an online portfolio and record visible to anyone, that could one day create a connection you never could have imagined.

Works Cited

Boyd, Danah. “Networked Privacy.” Surveillance and Society, vol. 10, no. 3/4, 2012, pp. 348-50.

Rajagopal, Kamakshi, et al. “Understanding Personal Learning Networks: Their Structure, Content and the Networking Skills Needed to Optimally Use Them.” First Monday, vol. 17, nos. 1-2, Jan. 2012, firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/download/3559/3131.

1. michellebannister

Hi Jasmine,

I totally agree that we are social creatures, do you think we have lost touch of socialization throughout this COVID-19 pandemic? Or have we just found different ways to socialize?

• jasminepathak

Hey Michelle! Thanks for the comment, I think you bring up an interesting point. Sometimes I feel like I have lost my in-person communication skills due to COVID-19, as I am so used to communicating digitally. But I also think we have found other ways to socialize. The other night my friends and I watched a movie together over Netflix Party, which was a fun way to connect. I haven’t seen some of my friends in months, but still feel quite connected to them and feel like our relationships have strengthened.

2. patricia g

Hi Jasmine,

I enjoyed your blog post! I appreciated the statement you made about how through engaging in the vulnerability of a public portfolio and record, you may make a connection you never could’ve imagined. This ties into the motivations for networked publics as well in that career advancement and potential possibilities is available and possible. Perhaps, more possible if you play by the rulebook of what constitutes a successful digital identity.

Focusing on the individual, they are motivated to build, maintain and activate ties with characteristics such as a solid reputation, like-mindedness and expertise. The goal is to dial in their PLN for a desired level of connectivity, educational and skillset growth, and career progression. You mentioned connection as being a primary motivation to engage in PLNs which really resonates.