MINOR BLOG POST #5 – How would you create a PLN prior to engaging a social media campaign on a topic of your choice.

I would use my PLN to help students transition from university to the workforce or further education. As someone who is graduating after this term, I know first-hand how scary and intimidating this transition can be. I think a campaign that connects soon-to-be graduates with each other would provide a great support network. This campaign could focus on skills that we have developed in this course – such as working to curate a professional digital identity and expanding networks. Some points I would keep in mind while launching my campaign is to be as genuine and authentic as possible. In the reading by Woods, the author advises readers to “Let your Twitter feed reflect you. Make sure your tweets are professional, but also reflect your own personality. You’ll make better connections if you’re open and genuine” (2013, p. 71). I often find that career-based content creators gloss over the gritty parts of establishing your professional identity. All of us face setbacks, and it is important to share that so that students realize they are not alone.

Woods mentions in their article the importance and relevance of Twitter as a PLN, emphasizing features such as hashtags to enable connection-building (2013). One thing I would keep in mind before using Twitter for my campaign, is that many students my age signed up for Twitter for personal use. I would encourage students to whom this applies to create a new Twitter for professional use and make their personal Twitter “private.” There have been so many instances of leaders and celebrities facing harsh consequences for some of their old tweets!

Works Cited

Woods, Bianca. “Building your own PLN: seeking new insights and ideas? Expand your personal learning network.” T+D, vol. 67, no. 11, Nov. 2013, p. 70+. Gale OneFile: Business.gale.com/apps/doc/A348998538/ITBC?u=uvictoria&sid=ITBC&xid=1010abdf.